[Clayart] automation

Robert Harris robertgharris at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 14:35:02 UTC 2021

I completely agree with all Snail's points!
How I wished we had better design than simply better "craftsmanship".
Making things by hand allows all sorts of design possibilities that would
be simply too hard with automation, and it's that, that should allow an end
user to appreciate the item they're using, not the simple moral superiority
that it's handmade. If your pots are practically indistinguishable from
something that "could" be handmade, why bother.

I make precise (i.e. not wabi-sabi!) porcelain pots (Mel would probably
hate them). Something you might think is closer to machine made (I've had
lots of people ask why I am not "looser", it's simply not my personality),
but because of the detailing in lip/rim, and the footrings and even the
curves of the body, they'd probably be extremely hard to make by machine.
Recently I've been trying to tie together a design style for mugs, bowls,
jugs, teapots etc so that there is a true bond of form, not just
decoration, between them.

Everyone should think about the design of their pots!

I'm trying to use instagram more but I seem to end up posting more errors
and glaze tests than pots, but you can see them @robertharrisporcelain.