[Clayart] automation

Robert Harris robertgharris at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 15:37:18 UTC 2021

And as a final thought on this subject.

I have seen potters whose work is, for all intents and purposes exactly the
same as the stuff they were making in the 70s and 80s. I'm not suggesting
they should be following the Zeitgeist, but we all change as we grow older
... if their pots are not changing,  as they themselves change, how is
their "handmade" pottery truly meaningful?

And I also have a good friend who is into his 80s, and in the 7 years I
have known him, his work has changed from bright low fired glossy pots
(slab built) with almost watercoloresque decoration, to more earth toned
terra sig with a few bright streaks, to a little bit in between. (And his
forms have also changed somewhat though still recognizably his).  All of
which is different from the wheel thrown stoneware he made in the 1970s. He
is constantly pushing himself. He doesn't just sit down and turn himself
into a one man factory.