[Clayart] b mix 2

ronroy at ca.inter.net ronroy at ca.inter.net
Thu Sep 9 18:26:04 UTC 2021

Well - I have nothing against fixing clay, but when you start adding
materials, not only affects maturing temperature but how glazes are
going to react. Testing the resulting body to see how shrinkage,
absorbency and color response are affected is wise.

For instance - adding silica can affect not only the beta to alpha
quartz inversion but also the overall expansion/contraction of a clay
or a glaze.

Keep in mind - lowering expansion can result in glazes with a low
starting low expansion can result in broken pots and shivering.
Possibly the worst thing that can happen to a potters sales.

I'm not in any way saying that commercial clay bodies cannot be
improved on. Many are deficient in more than one way. But - if you
don't have basic important
information obtained from your clay supplier or by testing, you can
make the situation worse.

Anyone who needs testing information - just send me an email.

RR

Ron Roy
ronroy at ca.inter.net
Web page ronroy.net