[Clayart] AUTOMATION -

Ric Swenson ricswenson0823 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 10 05:23:02 UTC 2021

Handmade tools are always a joy to make and use. IMHO.

One of my favorite ways to make my own roulette wheels is to find old plastic (or even hard rubber) casters from carts that have been discarded. I use a grinder or a drill or a saw or knife to carve into the caster wheels (tread) surface in a calculated form or even a random pattern. Random is more interesting.

I throw a cylinder and starting at the base I press the texture wheel into the clay as it slowly rotates and with fingers inside to apply pressure...bring the wheel slowly up to a few inches from the top. I then use the inside hand to press outward to get the bulbous shape I desire as I come up the form. Then collar the top few inches inward to form a bottle shape or form a galley for a lid. Most times, I thrown a lid off the hump then use the remaining clay to make the cylinder when making a jar. The texture can be a bit rough, so I use a small sponge to lightly knock the roughness down just a bit.

After bisque; textured this way, a wash of red iron oxide or other oxide can be applied and sponged off the top surface of the piece...and then apply glaze if desired. I learned this basic technique from F.C. Ball in grad school in Tacoma.

Application of more or less pressure when doing the texturing and the speed of coming up the cylinder can change the effect. If I find I don't like the texture I can go over it again...or use to a rib to erase.... and try again.

I make my own stamps too and just bisque them.

I have made most of the ribs I use. Koa or teak wood is best because the wood is oily and hard and not likely to crack or warp going into and out of the throwing slip/water in years of use. I always drill a 3/4 inch hole in most of my ribs to make them easier to grasp when wet with slip....and easy to hang on a peg board above your wheel.  Ribs can be made of many different materials. Metal, plastic, stone or even animal "ribs". Needing a rib once during a demo I used an old CD to make the inside of a bowl form. Be creative !

I wrote an article about ribs for CM back in the 70s. I will send you a copy of the article if you email me directly.

Handmade is well made.

Ric