[Clayart] design, cultural misunderstanding/story

Robert Harris robertgharris at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 15:50:25 UTC 2021

What Mr. Uchida called Neriage (also sometimes called Nerikomi) is called
Agateware in the UK and was done at least as far back as the 17th C. While
18th and 19thC agateware was not usually thrown, there are examples of
thrown English agatware, and some of the earliest examples, e.g. from 1670s
were thrown. (And slip marbling was known at least as far back as the early
17th Century).

(ANd a quick Google search tells me that agateware was a fairly common
decorative technique in colonial America.)

I imagine Mr. Uchida's design patents were very specific to a certain facet
of the technique (neriage in Japan is far older than Mr. Uchida too). I
would be interested to know exactly what he was doing that was different
from traditional neriage.