[Clayart] old potters

Hank Murrow hmurrow at efn.org
Thu Sep 16 14:13:40 UTC 2021

> On Sep 16, 2021, at 5:24 AM, mel jacobson <melpots at mail.com> wrote:
>
> I have a hunch that if you went to most any college clay
> program in the U.S. most of the students would not have a
> clue how Hamada, Kawai or Arakawa influenced ceramics.
>
> Nils Lou and Robin Hopper's names will last because of their
> writing.  Few will know about Malcolm Davis and maybe the
> name Voulkus will pop up from time to time.
>
> It is just the way it is. We all move on.  Many on clayart
> have all the names memorized and often knew them personally.

Mel;

I enjoyed a six week workshop with Hamada Shoji and his son at USC while I was managing The Potshop

in Venice, CA in 1962, a two week visitation of Bernard Leach at U of Oregon in '64, three days with Voulkos

there in '60, a four month experience there in '68 with Michael Cardew, and hosted a workshop for two weeks

there with Harry Davis in '69. Bob James and David Stannard were glad to invite these potters to widen our

experience, and all were memorable occasions, rich with stories and informal lessons. It took me about four

years to coalesce the lessons from all of these teachers and find my own clay voice, but my voice emerged very

forcefully in time and continues today at 82 years of age.

Blessings, Hank in Eugene, Oregon