[Clayart] kiln wash

mel jacobson melpots at mail.com
Mon Sep 27 14:35:31 UTC 2021

I have had several folks ask for kiln wash recipes..theory.

Basically it is combinations of Alum/hydrate, China clay, Silica.

Depending on your need, you want to experiment with combinations
that do not flake off.

Often folks will calcine the epk.  Robert gave us a Zircopax and calcined
Kaolin idea.  The theory is, using a combination of ingredients that do not melt.
No fluxes please.

I have never used wash.  If I have some porcelain, or other clays or glazes that
run fast, I dust the shelf with alum/hydrate, or fine sand.
mel

website: www.melpots.com
www.melpots.com/CLAYART.HTML