[Clayart] kiln wash

ronroy at ca.inter.net ronroy at ca.inter.net
Mon Sep 27 15:03:21 UTC 2021

Do not put silica in kiln wash - it combines with clay and glaze and
is counter productive.

My wash is aluminum hydrate 80, EPK 10, ball clay 10. I used a pump up
plant sprayer to apply it - more like a splatter than a spray. It gave
a textures layer that worked very well.

I stopped using kiln wash 20 years ago in my gas kiln because I
started using "advancer" shelves.

Still use it in my electric kiln using old style shelves.

RR

Quoting mel jacobson <melpots at mail.com>:

> I have had several folks ask for kiln wash recipes..theory.
>
> Basically it is combinations of Alum/hydrate, China clay, Silica.
>
> Depending on your need, you want to experiment with combinations
> that do not flake off.
>
> Often folks will calcine the epk.  Robert gave us a Zircopax and calcined
> Kaolin idea.  The theory is, using a combination of ingredients that
> do not melt.
> No fluxes please.
>
> I have never used wash.  If I have some porcelain, or other clays or
> glazes that
> run fast, I dust the shelf with alum/hydrate, or fine sand.
> mel
>

> website: www.melpots.com
> www.melpots.com/CLAYART.HTML

Ron Roy