[Clayart] Kiln Setter

vpitelka at dtccom.net vpitelka at dtccom.net
Tue Sep 28 22:57:36 UTC 2021

The Kiln-Sitter is incredibly reliable, but in 35 years of firing electric
kilns with Kiln-Sitters at U-Mass Amherst, NDSU in Fargo, and at the
Appalachian Center for Craft in Tennessee, I expect I saw every kind of
failure that is possible in a Kiln-Sitter.  Among them, I saw mini-cones or
cone-bars stick to corroded cone-support prongs quite a few times, causing
the kiln to overfire, sometimes with serious consequences.  The cone-support
prongs are cheap, so no reason not to replace them once a year or so,
depending on how often you fire.   Lacking a new set of prongs, if your cone
prongs are looking crusty and corroded, just pull them out of the porcelain
tube, sand them off, and reinstall them.
- Vince

Vince Pitelka
Potter, Writer, Teacher
Chapel Hill, NC