[Clayart] Sawdust instead of straw in small DIY primitive kiln

vpitelka at dtccom.net vpitelka at dtccom.net
Fri Apr 1 12:12:17 UTC 2022

In my Ancient Clay workshops, we do a blackware bonfiring and smother the fire with sawdust and then bury it to get the jet-black color.  So I've had experience with the combustibility of most common kinds of sawdust.  Robert is right that finely powdered sawdust is dangerous, but only if it is dispersed I a concentrated cloud.  Then it can be explosive.  If it is just in a pile, it is the opposite - it is hard to burn because oxygen cannot get into the pile.  You don't say exactly what you are trying to do.  Is this sawdust going to be the primary fuel?  Are you going to feed it into the kiln somehow as you fire?  A little more information would be helpful.  I've had experience with Lowell Baker's sawdust burners, which inject the sawdust into a firebox with a blower.  Those burners are capable of melting the interior of the firebox, and I've seen it happen.

If you are only using the sawdust for color and other surface effects, then a coarse sawdust will work best.
- Vince

Vince Pitelka
Potter, Writer, Teacher
Chapel Hill, NC