[Clayart] sawdust instead of straw in primitive kiln

Robert Harris robertgharris at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 04:01:13 UTC 2022

I've put sawdust in clay. Biggest problem is that it caused serious
pinholing in the glazes. Otherwise it fired just fine.
Obviously it depends how much you put in! (My aim was to produce a piece
with enough air gaps that it would provide insulation for hot drinks,
didn't really work).

We also wad all of the posts in our kiln, even in a regular reduction
firing, and we use sawdust (about 25-30% by weight which is probably >60%
by volume), makes the wadding just crumble right off.

Not sure what your aim is, by adding sawdust.
The long fibers in paper help stabilise the clay, but sawdust won't provide
that.