[Clayart] sawdust instead of straw in primitive kiln

L TURNER magnolia.mud.list at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 17:12:33 UTC 2022

Robert,

(I fire at cone 10 gas reduction).

I have been playing with laminated clay bodies.    using a standard cone 10
clay body and applying a mixture of kaolins only as a paste for the outer
layer.  The outler layer fired to cone 10 is still absorbant (aka: has fine
holes in the kaolin layer).   so far, I have no problem with the interface
of the two layers.  For thrown ware, I apply the tacky (but not a slip)
kaolin paste to the form near the final step of throwing.  On handbuilt
ware the paste is added after the form is completed.

If you were to use a similar layer between your inside surface clay body
and your outside clay body, you might get the "insulation for hot drinks"
you were looking for.

If you are using a mid temperature clay body, then use a high fire course
clay body for the middle layer, or just use the sawdust clay as a middle
layer.

LT