[Clayart] sawdust instead of straw in primitive kiln

Robert Harris robertgharris at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 18:38:20 UTC 2022

Yes, I've thrown double walled teapots and mugs, but frankly they're a bit
too heavy to be useful (at least if they're going to contain more than a
thimblefull!. At least in my opinion.
Throwing two separate pieces would allow for more and easier trimming to
really get the weight down, but doing so accurately enough to get a mug of
reasonable outer dimensions, while containing a good amount of liquid would
be tricky.

I like LT's laminating idea though.
Of course one could make something porous and underfired (which I think
many Japanese teabowls are), but that leads to many of the same leakage
problems that earthenware has.

Slipcasting is the probably way to go. although I'm not sure how one could
slipcast a double walled teapot - unless you did it in two halves and
joined them.