[Clayart] drinking from containers

Robert Harris robertgharris at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 02:47:13 UTC 2022

It's sort of amusing to think how far we've come.
200 years ago, you'd have been pretty rich and hoity-toity to drink from
glass.

Cheap beer was served in wooden tankards. At least in a rough country pub
where ceramic was too fragile. (The most interesting one I've seen had 3 or
4 holes in the side to be filled by wooden pegs, depending on how much beer
you'd purchased).

Most everything else was served in pewter or silver if you were lucky.
Flagons and harvest jugs would have been earthenware, though.