[Clayart] drinking from containers

vpitelka at dtccom.net vpitelka at dtccom.net
Tue Apr 5 12:35:39 UTC 2022

My son gave me four special glasses designed specifically for IPAs, since they are my favorite variety of beer.  I use those glasses and I like them, but I also like drinking beer from a pottery stein.  I make a lot of them, and they are popular with my customers.  I always glaze the interior of steins with a gloss pure white glaze, what some people call "appliance white" or "toilet bowl white."  That way, you can clearly see the color of the beer.  Of course you don't get the same view of the beer that you have with a glass, seeing the division between the beer and the foam, but with a pottery stein, it's nice when the foam dissipates and you see the beer.  Looking down through it, even an IPA looks quite dark at first, and then the color is revealed as the beer is consumed.

Of course you can't compare heat/cold retention between a pottery mug and a vacuum-insulated stainless steel mug, but when used in the home, an insulated stainless steel mug is completely devoid of soul compared to a pottery mug.  In the backcountry there's a reason for the insulated stainless steel mug.  I lost one while camping in California.  I went to an outdoor store and the only thing they had was YETI mugs.  I love my YETI cooler, but found the mug awkward to use and gave it away when I was able to get a better mug.

Pottery mugs retain heat or cold much better than glass, because glass is absolutely vitreous with no porosity at all.  The small amount of porosity and additional thickness in a vitrified pottery mug or stein makes a big difference compared to glass.
- Vince

Vince Pitelka
Potter, Writer, Teacher
Chapel Hill, NC