[Clayart] Cow paddys

Tig Dupré tigdupre at msn.com
Thu Apr 7 16:26:46 UTC 2022

When I was in college at the University of Florida, Clayton Bailey came for a workshop.  He made "nose cups" and "blooper heads."  He cracked jokes and made wonderful pots.

One of the things he told us was his use of "horse clay," the mixing of dried horse dung in his clay body.  Clayton claimed that this allowed him to use less fuel in firing, because once the firing got up to the ignition point of the horse dung, the pot would fire itself.  I never tested this theory, not having access to a lot of horse dung, but it did sound somewhat on the fantasy side of clay production.

I greatly enjoyed his workshop!

Tig Dupre
in Port Orchard, WA

Kurt Wild got very excited to use dung as a heat source
for low temp pottery.  Black ware and such was fired for
years using dung...but, "DRY DUNG"  ....
People have the perception that cow dung is wet, sloppy,
icky stuff. And, it is.  But dung found in dry climates, esp
cattle and goat sheep dung is like a grass paddy.

Most of what goes in a cow is grasses.  What comes out is used up grass.