[Clayart] Cow paddys

dannon at ccrtc.com dannon at ccrtc.com
Fri Apr 8 20:53:25 UTC 2022

Ah, brick making.

The central/original part of my house was built in 1880's sometime.  The
whole central
part is made from home made brick, made right here on the place.  The
basement walls and
the original outside walls are all double courses of brick, with an
airspace in the center.
The walls are about 20 inches thick.  The bricks were made from the
dirt, not cleaned much
I expect. Whatever kiln they used (a beehive, perhaps, dunno) was across
the ravine from
the house, on the cleared side of the hill.  I happened to come across a
stray homemade brick a
couple months ago when I was out walking.  The clay is coarse, with some
small stones
and voids. This particular brick was broken on one end, and the other
end not squared.
Expect it was tossed out as a second or something. Must have lain there
ever since, being
tossed about by the freeze/thaw cycle. All the basement brick are matt
finish. Fired with either wood
or coal. I expect wood, because that was what was available. I've only
seen the basement brick.
The exterior brick walls are covered with stucco, inside with plaster,
so I've not seen them.
Apparently the brick was made as time permitted, stored up until there
was enough.  Soil here
is mostly clay, with layers of shale. I've cleaned and fired some, in
the past. It's a low
fire clay, matures at about 1800 F. A beautiful orange/pink at that
temp. Fired higher it turns a
truly ugly greenish brown, and melts well before cone 9.

The soil here is apparently perfect for brick, as is. (there is a
brick-making
factory in the little town about 10 miles from here. I visited it a few
years back, and
they showed me the whole thing. A train-kiln, fired with sawdust sprayed
in at ports. The
brick traveling along- cold start/cold finish. They fire to 1850 F). The
factory is where
it is because that is where they "mine" the soil. Full of shale and
clay, slightly sifted,
barely dampened, pressed into the molds, then placed on the cars, fired
as is.

best,

Dannon Rhudy