[Clayart] coil life

Kathi Koester mrskathikoester at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 01:57:12 UTC 2022

Thank you Mel!  I need to make more time (&courage) to be a
Tinker-er/engineer. Thank you Arnold for your recent phone help as my kiln
and I have new experiences together. Skutt tech line has different advice
on many topics including element life, so my second opinion call to Arnold
yielded excellent, detailed information.
Thank you to everyone on [clayart] for your daily information, and the
couple of you for your patience with my emailed questions.
Sincerely,
Kathi_MN

On Fri, Apr 8, 2022 at 7:33 AM mel jacobson <melpots at mail.com> wrote:

> if you own an electric kiln, you will be changing coils.  Like lite bulbs
> in your house, they fail.  Relays fail all the time.
>
> There are a great many reasons coils fail.
> HOW DO YOU FIRE YOUR KILN, AND WHAT TEMP???
>
> If you fire at a school, three times a week to cone 9...you have trouble
> ahead.
> If you fire once every two months to cone 06, your coils will last for
> years.
>
> Learn the word torque. The energy you use to clamp wires together in a
> kiln.
> If you change tires on a 747 you will need a great deal of torque on those
> bolts holding the wheel in place.
>
> Dirty wires and connections do not let the power pass and they do fail.
>
> I found a L&L kiln in a local dump. It was built in 1960. It was actually
> in good shape. But, the wire connections were all melted and burned.
>
> I took it home, took out all the coils, cleaned the wiring with sand paper.
> 'made it all shine. Took the kiln sitter apart and cleaned it all and
> re/calibrated
> the system. I had a box of coils from several schools. About 25 coils. I
> picked out
> enough to fill the kiln. sandpapered all the connections, put it all
> together  and
> fired it for bisque only and it lasted 18 years.
> I used bronze barrel connectors, torqued the connections.
> Everything was clean and gloss. I cleaned the coil grooves and
> washed the brick with soapy water. Used steel wool on the outside. Added a
> 50 amp
> breaker and put in new wiring to the kiln from the breaker. The total cost
> for that
> brand new kiln was about 30 bucks fire some new wires and connectors.
>
> Never once did I get a book and try to figure out why coils burn
> out...Venting?
> What?
>
> No, I made a new kiln out of an old one, made the proper connections and
> cleaned the
> kiln like brand new.  Yes, with soap and water and a brush.
>
> Look at some of the pictures that Arnold is posting on facebook from his
> kiln repair
> business.  wires connected with finger tight torque. black and melted.
> Coils with
> melted glaze on them. Thin wires with small spade connectors...melted.
> Kilns sitting outside
> under a small roof. Open the control box and it is all green vegetation.
>
> Remember, Arnold was the author of 32 pages in our kiln book...repair and
> maintenance of an
> electric kiln. the book is free of charge.
> mel
>

> website: www.melpots.com
> www.melpots.com/CLAYART.HTML
>
> --
"For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities - his
eternal power and divine nature - have been clearly seen, being understood
from what has been made, so that men are without excuse." Romans 1:20