[Clayart] Homemade Cone 5 and 6

David Woof woofpots at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 12 05:21:31 UTC 2022

Hi David, ran mcc, everyone,
David asked ran mcc: "You aren't fearing a zombie apocalypse where commercial cones will be
unavailable,
are you?
Come what may or may not regarding zombies and hard times, there may be a time when we have no cones available and what I'm thinking of now are the "draw rings" we pulled from our wood fired kilns to discern the  sodium/clay interaction build up.                                                                                                                                         And in some cases, myself included, we pulled rings to note when our glazes had matured.

Taking note to read the color of the kiln interior atmosphere, (not color of the flame) with charting and experience, lets one know about when to begin pulling draw rings.
 ***Cones if you have them, are a good learning reference during this time of learning to read the kiln atmosphere.

Back when, I thought what David H was doing with his making cones experiments was "way cool" but just filed it away as a vicarious experience for me.
 I have, and do make "Sag Bars" to test clay body deformation points in the formulations I'm experimenting with.
All the above similar and related to this topic.

FYI.....The draw rings are formed and stabilized with a wider flattened base, coated with alumina for no sticking, and lifted out thru a loose brick peep hole with a long 3/8th-inch diameter iron rod.

Who/what can stop anyone who makes an intimate study of our materials, and thinks and asks; "what would happen if?"

Misneach,

Woof.................. I asked my Muse if zombies will buy pottery....the little Vixen just walked away and after she muttered "stupid question."   I think she said " well old man if you survive me you don't have to be concerned about zombies."   <);>0)=={=======<