[Clayart] bad weather firing

mel jacobson melpots at mail.com
Fri Apr 15 13:31:12 UTC 2022

Got half way through a firing this week and a big
storm rolled in. 40 mile ph winds, rain...pain in the butt.

I should have shut down, but so close to done I finished.

There was so much back fire that the kiln way over reduced.
so.

I got out the CMC gum, am going to re/fire the entire kiln of pots
and have re/glazed about 40 pieces.
My copper green cone 7 glaze turned ick mauve. So, added chrome to
glaze and cmc.  It works like a charm.
Did the glazing in series...15 pots in the kitchen oven, warmed to 150F.
dipped into glaze and it dried on the surface of the pots like concrete.

Will re/load later today...of course it snowed four inches over night.
So, will report back after the kiln opens. Nature kicked my butt, so
will see if I can save some pots.
Mel
If I would have re/read my own book I would have shut down.
however, I still would have to have re/fired.

website: www.melpots.com
www.melpots.com/CLAYART.HTML