[Clayart] pix of mel's refire

mel jacobson melpots at mail.com
Tue Apr 19 22:42:48 UTC 2022

I have added three pix to my clayart page. click below.

bottom three mugs, a bit big, but I want you to see
the glaze surface, not the pot. The clay color works
well too.

these three pots were fired to cone 7 and a storm ruined the
entire load. My first thought was hammer.

Then I was enticed to change the jade glaze and add
cmc gum.  I had never used it before, but I had package
in the cupboard.  I heated the pots in groups to 150F
plunged them into the glaze bucket that was finely screened
and mixed.  (it was 21F outside so had to do the work in the
kitchen.)

I had added chrome and rutile to the glaze bucket.
I called bob anderson and told him I was hoping for
a green glaze with rutile crystals...It all depended
what was under the new glaze.

I rewarmed the pots and the glaze was like concrete on the
finished pots.  Loaded the kiln, nice day..no wind. I pulled
the damper and inserted a wedge of mboard in the slot. I wanted
zero reduction as the pots where totally over reduced after the
first firing.
it worked like a charm.  I fired very slow at the start to keep
the plates from cracking. then fired as usual. it was under five hours
and the cone 7 was over almost flat..8 was bending.

You all must understand that this is a one/off firing...no way to
re/do the mess to good pots activity.

my motto is:  learn from the ground up and "what if".  I am a very
happy potter with some really nice pots..
mel/thanks for looking.

website: www.melpots.com
www.melpots.com/CLAYART.HTML