[Clayart] coil life

Arnold Howard arnoldhoward at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 12:02:44 UTC 2022

Yes, finger-tight torque. That’s especially common on the thermocouple oval connection block. Most replacement thermocouples have loose screws.

I’ve been delivering new 12-sided kilns to schools, which entails taking the kiln sections apart to move them through 36” doorways. While I’m at it, I check the connections to make sure they’re tight, and I rearrange the thermocouple wires if they’re too close to relay wires in the switch boxes.

I’ve noticed lately that the push-on terminals on new kilns aren’t as tight as the older push-on terminals. (I have to remove wires to separate the kiln sections. That’s why I know how tight the terminals are.)

The push-on terminals should be so tight that they’re difficult to remove.

One thing electricians have in common: their connections are very tight.

Arnold Howard

Sent from my iPhone