[Clayart] work

William Schran wschran at twc.com
Fri Apr 22 13:43:25 UTC 2022

Always wonderful stories Mel.... I also struggled in high school and
started college at a junior college where I discovered I loved
learning because I was challenged.
I taught ceramics ( and drawing or design) at a community for nearly
40 years. Best work life experience I think I could ever have. Went to
college knowing I wanted to do something in art, but unsure exactly
what it would be. In grad school I was TA - basically did all
firing/glaze mixing and assisted with studio maintenance with a little
teaching occasionally.
During my final semester, finishing up thesis and work for final
exhibition we had a blind student enroll in a beginning hand building
course. The professor gave her to me to work with one-on-one during
each class session. She was sighted early in her life so I could
verbally describe shapes and colors. I found it curious when
demonstrating I would describe what I was doing and she would always
say "let me see that", meaning let me hold/feel that. She did very
well and that is when I fell in love with teaching and knew that's
what I had to do.
After grad school I worked full-time at Eagle Ceramics supply and
taught one ceramics class at Northern Virginia Community College
(NOVA) and a course at The Torpedo Factory (an old torpedo factory in
Alexandria, VA turned into art center). Late 1970's - Eagle Ceramics
laid me off (economic downturn) and both classes cancelled due to low
enrollment. That spring/summer I worked at plant that made solid
rocket propellant (they developed propellant for air bags) as a
hazardous materials handler. Fall 1977 was hired full-time at NOVA
where I taught art courses and built the ceramics program. In 1982,
another recession and came under RIF but was able to move to another
campus and built another ceramics program. I retired with the promise
that they would hire another full-time ceramics teacher and continue
the program. I also played a bug role in designing the entire art
program in a new building that was under construction as I retired and
have yet to see the building/facilities.
Bill

William Schranwschran at twc.com703-505-1617