[Clayart] coil life

David Woof woofpots at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 23 06:43:49 UTC 2022

Arnold said: "One thing electricians have in common: their connections are very tight."

Yes! a connection that is not tight causes some of the electrical current to "arc" across the micro gap between the loose faces of the metal connection. This arcing causes a build-up of carbon further reducing the current energy's ability to flow.  Of course, this wreaks havoc on the sensitive function(s) of the various kiln components.

Cause of many studio fires is when a kiln is "plugged in" to an outlet, rather than "hard wired" in with a functioning circuit breaker and manual switch in the system.    (Hard wired and soldered is the ultimate tight connection where extreme heat is not a concern.)

If one must use a plug-in power supply, It's an "advisable" "must" to on a regular maintenance schedule, un plug from the outlet receptacle and clean/shine the male tangs of the plug with emery paper to remove any carbon arcing that may have occurred.

I know this is preaching to the Choir who already know this, while the congregation sits in a malaise of denial and abject dis belief, and will most likely do nothing but say: "B.S. I've had no fires in 50 years bla bla....."   But we keep beating these drums just the same.

Bon feu comrades,