[Clayart] Alternatives to hay in primitive kilns

Carolyn Curran cncpots2 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 17:44:39 UTC 2022

Thanks for the tip!   I was thinking of using newsprint  if all else
failed, although   I doubt that  old  newspapers have much in the way of
additives, though ...maybe  innocuous soybean in ink, maybe?  I know
there's kaolin in some of the high grade paper...and probably they manage
to sneak in things like plastic in some form.

 I was so elated to be able to have a very successful firing in   my ugly
little kiln while at son's home at Easter and look forward to birthday
firings at youngest son's workshop  in mif May.  . He has not been able to
"host" a firing because his shop has been so busy that  my presence would
be attractive nuisance distracting the men who work for him!  Hopefully   I
can build some  sculptural kilns at my home  studio  this summer and find
places to fire  them.

Regards and thanks again for your reply.

Carolyn