[Clayart] Ceramic programs… my take…

Antoinette Badenhorst porcelainbyantoinette at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 19:57:18 UTC 2022

It is sad that it is on the decline, but throughout my career I saw how
people get on the “pottery train” and I saw them fall off.

Real pottery work is hard. It is soul searching, it is sacrifice; not just
for the potter, but also for family members. It is persistence,  even when
there is no recognition.

There are  many  potters that did a 6 weeks class, went home, presented a 6
weeks class….raised more 6 weeks classes and 6 weeks potters…… you get the
picture….they romanticize clay and belief it will make them rich. Truth is
it burns them out!

I also observed how college curriculums wanted to make “artists” from
people that really just wanted to be craftsmen. It is forcing one thing to
be something else…..

I think that is not just the case in clay programs, but several of you made
mention of students that studied one thing and ended up doing something
else.

Back  to the “pottery train” …….life has a way to sort and distinct between
authentic and false

False tends to kill itself. Authentic tends to raise itself……

We’ll just have to wait and watch. We are entering a cleansing period. I
hope it will come in my lifetime….

--

Best wishes,

Antoinette Badenhorst