[Clayart] alternative to hay in primitive kilns

Snail Scott claywork at flying-snail.com
Mon Apr 25 19:11:28 UTC 2022

I think straw or hay would be a good kiln-material additive. I would avoid paper strips, as it would be flat thin pieces, which might cause poor bonding of the material on both sides, rather than the stronger but thinner stems of grass. I have not made castable refractory this way, but I am going on analogy with fiber-reinforced cement and cast plaster I have done. The straw will give good tensile strength when setting, and may survive quite a while in the outer layers during the curing firing. I know that adobe containing straw is widely used as the outer layer of many kilns, even when the hot face is hard firebrick.

-Snail