[Clayart] Ceramic programs… my take…

Snail Scott claywork at flying-snail.com
Mon Apr 25 19:19:13 UTC 2022

I know I have had this argument with Vince quite a few times, but I still believe that the academic environment of a college or university is not the ideal setting to learn to be a craft potter, or for such instruction to occur. This is not to say it has not been accomplished well in many colleges, but usually in spite of the academic environment, not because of it. Why expect anything but academic-style art to arise from the academic environment? Art that takes advantage of that intellectual milieu, draws on other disciplines and fields of knowledge, and expects the same from its viewers, is a natural fit for a college art program. Production craft is not. This is not denigrating the value of that craft in any way, but I don’t go to a seafood stand for good steak, or a symphony hall for a foot-stompin' barn dance. Condemning a university for not being a trade school is equally absurd, and devalues both.

-Snail