[Clayart] re-firing

David Hendley farmpots at eastex.net
Mon Apr 25 19:34:33 UTC 2022

On 4/24/2022 1:02 PM, Barry Salaberry wrote:
> Re-firing
>
> I wonder if re-firing makes the pots more brittle that convention would
> serve?
> Would a dilatometer measurement of both provide less anecdotal survey?
> Does cristobalite increase or decrease with that re-fire?
> Is the pot which has been re-fired more subject to thermal shock?
> Does it affect glaze fit?
> Questions surface when we enter a new cave, but light does provide clarity
> one hopes.

Those are all good questions, and I think re-firing does, indeed, change
things.
I don't have any answers, but I think cristobalite is increased in a
re-fire, and the
piece is probably more sensitive to thermal shock and more brittle.
Just my hunch.
In my experience glaze fit is not noticeably changed.

David Hendley
david at farmpots.com
www.farmpots.com