[Clayart] re-firing

sumi sumi at herwheel.com
Wed Apr 27 03:11:46 UTC 2022

Sharon

Where I used to teach I was in charge of firing for the china painting
class. They used blank white fired china from a supplier, but often
students would buy ware from thrift stores and paint on it. Usually, it
was fine and made it through several firings with no trouble. Every now
and then one of these second-hand pieces would break, but usually the
very first time it was fired. Seemed like if it was solid, dense very
white china, it was always fine. The pieces that broke were white, but
had a different feel from the china blanks from the supplier. Restaurant
supply china works well, too.

Sometimes they would paint on 12" square tiles and the safest way to get
these through the firings was to stand them on edge leaning on kiln
posts. Fired flat on a shelf they often broke but they made it through
multiple firings on edge. Plates, too, could be fired on edge, often
actually leaning on the wall of the kiln (not right on an element, of
course).

Sumi