[Clayart] old statue found

David Hendley farmpots at eastex.net
Thu Aug 4 02:08:59 UTC 2022

I am not criticizing Mel, wouldn't even think of it, but "20 dollar
bowls and mugs"
sure got my attention.
I stopped by my supplier last week and the prices of materials was
shocking. Some
things are 4 times the price of a few years ago, and even the basic
cheap clays
and feldspars have doubled.
Last year I increased my basic $25 mug to $30. I think it will have to
go to $35
this year. I hate it, but it is needed to cover all the costs, and I'm
not going to
work for next-to-nothing.
My prices will still be on the more reasonable end. At the Texas Clay
Festival last
fall, a shopper commented that she was happy to find a nice $30 mug.

"several thousand dollars worth of propane" then caught my eye. Man, I just
don't see how $20 bowls and mugs can cover this.
I know, I know, the potter's time is still by far the most expensive
part of the
cost of a handmade pot, but fuel and materials are sure taking a bigger
piece
of the pie.
I also used to feel OK working for around $15 an hour. Sorry, but I can't do
that any more either. That is 3 gallons of gas or 1 1/2 lunches at a
cheap fast
food place. At that rate I would have to work for almost a whole week just
to cover the ever increasing booth fee for a big show.

We, the collective we, have created a big mess economically.

David Hendley
david at farmpots.com
www.farmpots.com