[Clayart] mel's sale

Gregg Lindsley gerrg42 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 19:27:29 UTC 2022

  Mel's comments on how he lives and runs
his clay empire resonates with me.
i am a child of the sixties, card carrying.
always an artist, i did many things before clay
found me.
   bought my cabin for 35,000 in 1998,  knowing
i needed a low mortgage and not wanting to
be part of the capitalist 'make as much money
as possible' thing. Just make the amount I need.
  so i have done so.  just a quiet studio potter
whose effort over 40 years has morphed into
what is now a small factory, run by orders  where
everything in the kilns (2 large electric) is
already paid for.
  I teach 18 students two nights a week, and
enjoy life in a quiet hamlet with a population of 200
people, a pair of great northern owls and a bear.
   I make pots or do something that the pottery
needs almost every day. I recycle clay with a
Bluebird pug mill i bought in the 80's.
  My mugs are $25.
  David Hendley used to say at every NCECA that
being a potter was a lifestyle, and i never knew
what he meant.   I do now.  And it's wonderful.
--
Gregg Lindsley
Earth and Fire Pottery