[Clayart] Handmade

kathi at lesueurclaywork.com kathi at lesueurclaywork.com
Fri Aug 5 19:23:33 UTC 2022

This is especially a problem at juried art fairs. Even if there is a potter on the jury they often have no idea of what is available to potters today. I was once on a jury where the other jurors were impressed with the artist’s decorating on pieces. I pointed out that the meticulous brush work they were seeing was actually commercially made decals that the potter just fired on the pots. What looks like unique glazing is just following instructions from the glaze manufacturer on which jarred glazes to combine for special looks. I once asked on another pottery forum why anyone would pay $290 for a five gallon bucket of shiny blue “dipping glaze” when that same bucket could be made with less than $20 in materials. Many, many potters today evidently have so much spare money that they have no interest in learning how to make glazes and will gladly pay $16 for an 8 ounce jar of glaze.

Kathi LeSueur
Sent from my iPad