[Clayart] old statue found (now Handmade)

David Woof woofpots at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 6 01:42:11 UTC 2022

 ​Snail said: "We cannot blame their ignorance of the nuances of production, or make them care about it if they do not.  If we can't make work that people want, or make it available to those seeking it, then we cannot complain if people buy elsewhere.  "

So true Snail,  You nailed it.

My response to this issue, has always been that to wherever and whenever I Relocated (about every 10 years) I would put a pin in the map and draw a 50 mile circle around my new home area.
Subsequently I showed my work at every venue possible, and lugged a wheel and clay along for throwing demonstrations including pulling handles on mugs and the precise fitting lids on pots of the same offerings I had on the tables.
How could folks not get the point of truly Handmade?

Within the first year I had the informed and appreciating patrons I wanted to sell my work too contacting me or responding to the mailing list.
By word of mouth and a growing mailing list, I soon had a widening circle of buyers that encompassed adjoining states.
So I've never been concerned about what others are making and how.  Though I do read all the posts and articles reflecting what other clay people are thinking and doing.

Even had some giggles from lap sitters when the movie "Ghost" was new and popular.
Spectators as well as participants were entertained and educated and came away with a deeper appreciation of handmade.

Fine unconscious pots always sell.   Let's each make and celebrate our own pots, vision, and abilities while appreciating the differing works and passion of others.

Love to All..........