[Clayart] form

David Woof woofpots at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 9 05:32:10 UTC 2022

Hi Bill,
Good to hear you say what you just posted (below.)  And a timeless reminder to a younger generation of would be or will be teachers.
In my teaching I also covered all aspects regarding form and function and blended or blurred the lines between the pottery and sculpture classes and the Drawing and Design classes.
Presenting drawing as a perceptual exercise to support and enhance all we see, do, appreciate, and create, in the studio and in everyday life.

While I produced the bulk of my own work in my personal studio, I also kept a smaller but regular production in the school studio as well so the students could see evidence of what I was teaching.

At times I would deliberately throw a weak or bad form or build a sculptural form that also had flaws in form or composition.
How the piece existed in or dominated space, and the value and impact of using light as a medium were clarified in a way that just studying "Good" form could not reach in their developing perceptions.
Since the students understood that these flawed forms were created deliberately, they felt at ease to honestly critique the forms.
Much discovery and learning were the outcomes of these sessions. They could outspokenly "rip" deeper into the flaws of these in a way that our Instructor lead group critiques of their work didn't have the same vital impact for their learning and subsequent work.

I hope what we've said will also resonate with our teaching successors.
High or low technology, we will always need the human brain and spirit for deeper human apprehension of emotion and appreciation of the finer things that make us human.

Misneach,

David Woof