[Clayart] handmade

Mary Winter mary8252 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 06:57:34 UTC 2022

Hi All,

Regarding the issue of handmade or not...it's all handmade. All art
goes through transitions, I think this is just a stretching of boundaries.
As far as pricing, something is worth whatever someone will pay for it.
Reminds me so much of learning about the history of art and craft. Back in
ancient Mesopotamia where the population grew from hunter gatherer to
populated cities. There was a need to standardize  and mass manufacture
goods that had previously been made without manufacturing processes like
molds for instance. The potters wheel was invented along with mold making
and such. There was even a need to manufacture dinnerware and such. We're
talking 3500 BC for the potter's wheel, 300 years before people figured out
how to use a wheel on a chariot, crazy. Tools are important in the
production of our work, this includes the potters wheel and advanced kiln
technologies. Some potters even have assistants and they don't make every
object they sell with their signature on it. Reminds me of when Eva Hesse
started showing her work. She thought of the concept and had others make
the work for her. How about the Ready Mades of Marcel Duchamp in 1913? How
about Christo's Arch de Triumph in Paris, no way did he make all the fabric
and drape it over the Arch himself with his own hands. For me it is all
about how we navigate the technological world and create aesthetics
consistent with what is happening around us. Maybe using molds, decals,
stencils and such is just a way to elevate old school pottery to a new
level, a fine art...collage has been around for a long time as a valid form
of art. Layering is cool in my book. Let's keep moving our art/craft along.

Mary