[Clayart] Geology of clay

laughinglion laughinglion at comcast.net
Tue Jan 4 00:38:14 UTC 2022

It Doesnt seem self serving at all Vince, that is EXACTLY what i am asking for.  I love this group, i love the combined hundreds of years of knowledge and experience.  You gave me a base understanding and a locale to get more information.  Can't get much more than that.Thank you.My personal use for clay is beads and extruded boxes. And the occasional personal sculpture piece. I make most of my sales from beads.  The character is carrying boxes as gifts and beads as trade goods.  The character is puzzled by the lack of fiber usage from creatures and the lack of use of ceramic items from said planet.  Thank you again.  Sent from my Galaxy
-------- Original message --------From: vpitelka at dtccom.net Date: 1/3/22  4:20 PM  (GMT-08:00) To: 'Clayart international pottery discussion forum' <clayart at lists.clayartworld.com> Subject: Re: [Clayart] Geology of clay Hi Laughinglion -When you ask for help, please sign your name.  To understand the origins of clay and the reasons for different varieties of natural clay, you might buy my book, "Clay: A Studio Handbook."  Sorry if that seems self-serving, but many people on this list will agree that it is a good source.  Most of the clay we use comes from the natural decomposition of feldspar over geologic time.  Feldspar is among the most common minerals on Earth.  If you find an earthy material in the natural world that is squishy and sticky and has the plastic qualities of clay, then it is clay.  It pretty much can't be anything else.  To test it, you fire it to different temperatures and test absorption, mechanical strength, etc.  But if you are dealing with a story about people surviving on a new planet, then all you are going to be worrying about is that the clay will be durable enough for use when fired.  There is rarely any toxicity issue with plain fired clay other than the fact that food can get into the pores and bacteria can grow, but if the pot itself is heated to and held at a temperature of at least 180 degrees F as the food is cooked or served, it will kill the bacteria.  This gets a lot more complicated, but a sufficient temperature each time it is used will ensure safe use even if the pot is not glazed.  There is no other simple answer, and if you want to deal with this accurately in your writing, then you need to do a lot more research and learn the science yourself.  Good luck with the writing - - VinceVince PitelkaPotter, Writer, TeacherChapel Hill, NCvpitelka at dtccom.netwww.vincepitelka.com https://chathamartistsguild.org/ -----Original Message-----From: Clayart <clayart-bounces at lists.clayartworld.com> On Behalf Of laughinglionSent: Monday, January 3, 2022 4:21 PMTo: Clayart international pottery discussion forum <clayart at lists.clayartworld.com>; laughinglion at comcast.netSubject: [Clayart] Geology of clayHi folks.I have a question, one of my incarnations as a crafter is as a romance writer.  I have dumped some folks on another planet, that has clay but does not utilize it.  One of my characters is, of course, a potter (elsewise why ask here).Can someone point me towards the geology of clay and how to test it, in an unknown venue, for proper firing temps and food safety postfiring......I want to play with this, but introducing clay to the previous colonizers i need a solid source of information.I own I am guilry of NOT knowing the science behind finding, digging and amending my own clay and worse not knowing where to find the resource information itself.  Glazes we have wonderful sources.....But i truly dont understand how a clay pit became a clay pit.  So would you folks who do understqnd the geology, the digging and amending of clay llease send me to your favorite resources.  Thus, at 60 I may learn more about my favorite medium.Sent from my Galaxy-------------- next part --------------An HTML attachment was scrubbed...URL: <https://lists.clayartworld.com/pipermail/clayart/attachments/20220103/b3967d9d/attachment.htm>