[Clayart] Water removal

John Rodgers jrodgers113 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 17:14:08 UTC 2022

Just a little story about this.

In 2006 I huge order from a church group- 800 pieces. There was a time line
that had to be meet because there was to be a special church service  on a
certain date that drew people from all over the US and that pottery had to
be available.

It was summertime in the deep south with very high humidity so the question
was how to dry the pottery adequately so it would not blow up in the kilns.

After studying the problem a bit, I RENTED a shipping container withba dark
blue paint - nearly black. I put it out in a place where it got full
sunlight,all day. This would get very hot in the sun. I installed several
circulating fans and a large dehumidifier. Then I put the pottery on racks
inside. With the heat generated buy thecsum, the air continually stirred by
the fans, and the dehumidifier running full bore the pottery would dry to
firing dryness within 8 - 12 hours. There were no cracks that ever occured.
The fans were never allowed to blow directly on the pottery therefore no
uneven shrinkage. The humidity was even when drying. It was noted that
there was a continuous stream of water coming from the dehumidifier. That
water, plus the air condition water,  being free of minerals because it was
condensate water, was used to make glazes.

Hope these tidbits help someone.