[Clayart] CLAYART HISTORY

Arnold Howard arnoldhoward at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 22:54:42 UTC 2022

About 10 years ago, the American Ceramic Society sent their Clayart server to Paragon. It was a large computer that hummed as loudly as an early Zerox machine when you turned it on.

Paragon’s IT consultant, Kevin, was familiar with the server. He even knew that it required a key to turn it on. At first it wouldn’t turn on. I had to remove and clean all the cards that plugged into the main circuit board.

I studied a huge Listserve manual in a 3-ring binder, and talked to someone at Listserve. Then we found the Australian list host and transferred the list to Mailman, a beautifully designed program.

Shelia, a Paragon employee, had the shipping department wrap the old server in a sheet of cardboard and mail it back to the American Ceramic Society. I laughed at seeing the old server in cardboard ready to leave Paragon.

I eventually used the thick Listserve manual for scratch paper, because the pages had blank backs. The 3-ring binder made a handy writing surface.

I’ve met wonderful people through Clayart. The first time Mel and I spent time together in person, we walked for hours to visit a WWII troopship in Tampa, Florida. Then we had fries at the restaurant of his hotel.

Arnold Howard

Sent from my iPhone