[Clayart] Thanks, Mel and others

Madeleine Hall-Arber arber at mit.edu
Wed Jan 5 16:57:22 UTC 2022

Clayart was my introduction to listserv and the amazing benefit of being able to hear from and communicate with masters of our medium.  I don’t recall now when I first joined, but it was the inspiration for me to start an email list in 1993 for social scientists interested in fisheries!  That list also enabled wonderful cross-disciplinary discussions among about 900 academics, policy-makers, fishermen, and other interested people.  Unfortunately, unlike Mel, I did not moderate the list, so it fell silent for a few years after too rancorous discussions drove moderate voices off.  Surprisingly, it has lately begun to show signs renewal.

This is just a little snippet of Clayart’s influence well beyond its obvious role.  I wonder if there were others who were also inspired to start-up email discussion groups on very different topics?

Thank you all for the generous gift of your time and expertise, a particular boon to those of us who have limited training and work out of home studios. Thanks too to Joe and Mary Molinaro and Richard Burkett who were instrumental in the early days.   Mel, you are a gift to us all.  I’ve donated to help defray some of the costs.

Warm regards and hopes for a healthy, happy new year (hope springs eternal)
Madeleine

Madeleine Hall-Arber, Ph.D.
Anthropologist
MIT Sea Grant College Program (retired)