[Clayart] paul lewing is back

Paul Lewing pjlewing at comcast.net
Fri Jan 7 03:28:29 UTC 2022

On Jan 6, 2022, at 4:03 PM, mel jacobson <melpots at mail.com> wrote:

just as a historical note.
Paul was given a stipend from the
clayart fund to be able to finish
his book.  The Museum in Seattle
charged him to copy slides from their
collection.  highway robbery.
but, we got it all worked out.
Mel was my angel.  I will be forever grateful.  The history section of the book would be much poorer without his donation.  What he didn’t tell you was that ACerS gave Clayart 6 copies of the book to the Clayart fund, which gave them away to potters who couldn’t afford them.  I wonder if any of those folks are still with us and if any of them are china painting.

And yes, it is highway robbery.  Seattle Art Museum wants $150 each to publish a picture of a piece in their collection.  So hang onto you copy of Jansen’s History of Art, because no one will ever be able to publish a comprehensive art history book again.  This is one of the main ways museums finance themselves nowadays.

the book is fantastic.
mel
Thank you.

Paul Lewing