[Clayart] it is with sadness i report

veenaraghavan at cs.com veenaraghavan at cs.com
Fri Jan 7 20:46:15 UTC 2022

Hi Clayarters,
I am no longer on Clayart as of, I think, a couple of years ago or more, when I had to give up pottery because of bad arthritis in my hands and wrists. In fact, the hand doctor I went to said that it was the best decision because of my condition. So, after nothing, I got myself a 15" rigid heddle loom, and because I could not find any weaving group within my driving range (I only learned how to drive at 62), I started to teach myself through reading and YouTube. Since I learned how make pottery more or less the same way, although I did have the benefit of attending workshops by wonderful potters at the Y in New York, where I lived, I thought I could just as easily teach myself how to weave. I did not take into account that I am in my eighties now and learning just isn't the same! I have achieved a capability for spinning on spindles and weaving but they do not replace pottery for me, so it has taken me a while to get used to the change. In the meantime, I occasionally look at Clayart and still see some familiar names, which is very nostalgic, especially when I see names of people I had the pleasure of meeting at NCECA or at workshops here in Virginia at the Lee Arts Center, which is now gone.
I am not quite sure what happened, Mel, but whatever it was, it was obviously very bad and affected you a lot. I am so sorry.
I think of Clayart often, of my beginning with this group over twenty or more years ago, when I was still in New York, of my visits to NCECA, of meeting so many wonderful people in the Clayart room, the sharing of ideas and experiences, and so on. But times change and one has to adapt, however difficult it is.
I wish you all all the best for 2022. I envy you for having your hands immersed in clay, for experimenting with glazes, for the waiting for the results from, particularly a gas, kiln, and for sharing your experiments and results with others.
Paul, I still remember being at a brush booth at NCECA, when a voice offered some advice about which brush I should buy, since I could only afford one. It was the first time I had spoken to you or you to me, and it was such a pleasure to meet you. I remember being thrilled at meeting and getting to know you, a little, Ron Roy, of meeting you, Hank Murrow, and emailing back and forth about the steak sauce from Paris, all your good advice about moving, Bonnie Hellman, meeting you and being at your workshop at Lee, Mel, meeting Arnold Howard, who was always so generous with his advice and time on Clayart, and so many others.   It was a highlight of my life at the time to meet so many of you, some who still seem to be on Clayart and others who are not. I wish you all well.
Mel, I hope you can look back at whatever happened, and move on the way you always seem to do. Bon courage!
Take care, everyone.
Veena

veenaraghavan at cs.com pottery and other art blog: copy and paste: veenaraghavan.wordpress.com