[Clayart] Don't steal Snails Lithium!!!

Robert Harris robertgharris at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 02:00:10 UTC 2022

The price of lithium carbonate is certainly going up, BUT it's still
cheaper than tin and cobalt ($30-$40/lb depending on quantity). And even in
a glaze with 3% LiCO3 that's probably an extra 20c per mug. Small in the
grand scheme of things, just sticker shock for everyone used to paying 1/2
or 1/3 that. Spodumene is now $2/lb. Again, much more expensive than it
used to be, but still relatively cheap to glaze a pot.

Even the most expensive glazes (say $100/ 10,000g batch) with tin and
cobalt in them, add negligibly to the raw materials cost of a piece of
pottery.