[Clayart] 5 GAL GLAZE

Kathi Lesueur kathi at lesueurclaywork.com
Fri Jan 14 14:29:06 UTC 2022

At my local supplier the price for a five gallon bucket of simple blue glaze was $290. By contrast, my most expensive glaze, a black, is $22 for a five gallon bucket. For years I worked out of a two car garage. I got a 4x8 table from those being discarded by Borders Books and stored glaze chemicals  under it in bins that I got from IKEA that had lids. They were on cheap dollies from Harbor Freight. My glazes were in five gallon  buckets stored under my slab roller. Also, on dollies. Smaller chemicals were stored in plastic jars I got from the dollar store. My best friends are the University of Michigan Property disposition and grocery store auctions. For $10 each I got a produce cart that hold my kiln shelves. I got two bedside tray tables that I use in both my glaze area and clay working area. At an IGA auction I got six baker’s racks for $75. I sold the aluminum trays  to a another bidder for $40. I haunt those sources and resale shops for useful studio items. Build it yourself, buy it used, buy it at auctions or resale shops and, with some creativity, you can outfit much of your studio for very little money.

Kathi LeSueur