[Clayart] carol's work, down firing (long)

vpitelka at dtccom.net vpitelka at dtccom.net
Sun Jan 16 01:12:29 UTC 2022

Hi Mel -
You and I have gone around and around on this over the years.  I teach a workshop called "Handbuilding: Tricks of the Trade."  In that five-day workshop, I teach everyone to make a very large coil jar, pinch forms, and soft-slab and stiff-slab forms.  We always have a wonderful time.  Handbuilding is not at all difficult when taught by a qualified teacher.  It's far more difficult to teach throwing.  Our Intro to Clay class at the Appalachian Center for Craft was all handbuilding, because it makes more sense to learn handbuilding before throwing.
- Vince

Vince Pitelka
Potter, Writer, Teacher
Chapel Hill, NC