[Clayart] hand building

Jen Birenbach jbirenbach at speedymail.org
Tue Jan 18 15:32:19 UTC 2022

Thanks for this Mel. I’m new to this list, but have known about it for years. I hope it’s ok if I chime in here-

I’m a hand builder who threw first. I started hand building about decade ago due to a shoulder injury that inflames quickly. I had no interest in hand building before then.

I was lucky enough to find a great hand building teacher in Raleigh NC who helped adjust my attitude toward hand building. (Jen Stas) She helped get my head out of the “Tyranny of the Round.”

I love that my fingers (& my banding wheel & a rib or two) do all the work. I find it very intimate. I love the problem solving too- every step of the way.

These days, I am grateful for the growing body of hand built work I see and new opportunities in recent years to develop through insights from hand builders. I am amazed by ancient pots as well- those skills.

It truly is a different skill. One I want to continue to master.

Thanks for reading-
From the currently windy coast of the North Shore of Massachusetts
Jen