[Clayart] hand building

David Woof woofpots at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 19 19:26:40 UTC 2022

Hi Jen,
"Tyranny of the Round" you said.  I love it!!!
Not The "tyranny" per se, but that you would speak out,  These voices need to be heard.

Because while I have made my living for 45 plus years as a Potter, Hand builder, Sculptor, and Educator, I sensed the frustration of students who's natural leanings and interest leaned in one way but only found reasonably accessible schools whose curriculum blocked their natural desires with opposing prerequisites.

And the thought loomed large in front of me: "Why not run entry level first semester classes embracing both methods of creating objects in clay.

I wasn't teaching long, before I realized that I could teach both hand building and wheel throwing in the same first semester class.
That an effective teacher who was equally proficient in both methods could teach both methods to all students.
It was evident that when given a choice, individual students would gravitate to one or the other methods as their primary preference.

I ran my classes like a "Gym Class without a whistle" once the initial hands-on intro demos were presented.
I floated around the studio teaching Throwing and Hand building.
Demonstrations throughout the semester kept the fires of inspiration burning brightly.
 Seeing the success and excitement of other students as they progressed intrigued everyone and the throwers and hand builders invariable came to try the other methods as they were so inspired.

Of course My syllabi clearly stated that the requirement for successfully completing the semester was that each student demonstrate a hands on working knowledge and could speak knowledgeably, at that first semester level. of both methods.

 The original ancient Latin root of our word "Educate" meant "to Draw forth the best in the student."  And that is how I taught.

 Of course the teacher must be proficient and inspired in both disciplines.
 Acknowledged that many instructors were expected to enforce following a handed down curriculum.
A curriculum usually handed down by dismissive Institutional Administrators who who knew nothing about Ceramics.... except......they had taken a class, found it too difficult to master, and so in their mind, "it didn't qualify as a Fine Art medium anyway."  But who authorizes the Instructor's Salary paycheck??? What a dilemma some instructors face!!! Usually one needs allies higher up the chain, or tenure, to exercise academic freedom.

As a dedicated teacher I cringe when I think of how many first semester Ceramics students from these sort of classes didn't return for a second semester because of prerequisites as in, semesters of either hand building or wheel throwing, before being offered the vs-versa..
What a waste of human potential and of a life satisfying pursuit for fine and serious people.

Does this sound like I am bragging about this method over others?...... ( Yes probably! BUT NOT meant to be SO!!!)
It certainly may be partially true if you are of a dismissive spirit anyway and so wish! Take it or leave it, or use your "Delete" dear friend!!!

Free yourselves from "tyranny of the round" or "pinched slabs" for that matter.

Misneach, "Go with love and courage"

Woof