[Clayart] slab rollers

vpitelka at dtccom.net vpitelka at dtccom.net
Fri Jan 21 19:18:42 UTC 2022

I had some hesitations about posting this, but I think it is important that Jeff get honest opinions, even if they qualify as negative reviews.  I have looked hard at the Hi-Roller slab-roller, and while I really appreciate the spirit of adventure and ingenuity that went into it's creation, I don't think it compares to a horizontal slab roller, and it is very expensive.  The space-saving feature is a falsehood, because every studio needs table/bench space, and every horizontal slab roller is a table when it's not rolling slabs.  And if you have the Hi-Roller up against a wall, that's one wall where you can't put shelves or a cabinet.  I have repeatedly watched the demos of the Hi-Roller at NCECA, and I am not at all impressed.  And I am an equipment geek.  I love machinery and innovation and have been working with machines all my life.  This thing is a bad idea.

My primary work has mostly been slab-built for the past 35 years, and I have taught slab-building in all my college classes and handbuilding workshops.  I have used slab-rollers by Brent, Bailey, North Star, Shimpo, Frema, and Axner, and the only one of those I would definitely stay away from is the Brent, because of the cost and the limitations of the shim system, compared to the infinitely-variable slab-thickness in the other brands.

I think that Jeff had the right idea to begin with sticking with Bailey, North Star, or Shimpo.
- Vince

Vince Pitelka
Potter, Writer, Teacher
Chapel Hill, NC