[Clayart] Wide range clay

vpitelka at dtccom.net vpitelka at dtccom.net
Fri Jan 21 23:35:52 UTC 2022

Hi Vanessa -
You are right to question us about this.  I feel strongly that any clay supplier that claims such a broad firing range is being dishonest.  The reality is that no clay can span such a firing range in terms of the requirements of utilitarian clay vessels.  If the claybody is mature at cone-6, it will be over-vitrified and brittle at cone-10, highly at risk of cracking due to thermal shock.  If it is mature at cone-10, it will be under-fired and porous at cone-6.

Buy a claybody from a supplier that is honest about the firing range of their claybodies.  And please make your feelings known to any clay supplier who claims such an unrealistically broad firing range.
- Vince

Vince Pitelka
Potter, Writer, Teacher
Chapel Hill, NC