[Clayart] slab rollers

Michael Wendt mwendt at wendtpottery.com
Sat Jan 22 00:01:09 UTC 2022

I agree with Vince about vertical slabrollers.
How do you keeping it from falling?
I make a lot of platters, square plates, butter dishes and other slab items
so I built my own slab roller from scratch.
It uses a pair of identical 2 1/4" outside diameter pipes (Machined on the
metal lathe to the exact same diameter between centers) 26" long driven by
3/4" diameter shafts that are synchronized via 4 heavy steel gears.
Because the transmission is bi-directional, its easy to form quickly.
I can roll through one way and then lower the top roll a bit to roll back
the other way.
The slab itself is formed on a 3/4" thick MDF board 26" w X 36" long with
smooth laminate glued on with contact cement.
For traction, I attached two 6" wide sander belts on the bottom of the
MDF...
I adjust the thickness via a hand crank using a 35 pitch roller chain that
turns both elevation screws precisely at the same time.
It has been in service since I built it in 1982.
Since I have a fairly complete machine shop area in the studio, it makes it
possible for me to indulge my other love, equipment fabrication.
Any of you who ever pass near this area (Lewiston, Idaho) are invited to
bring your camera, note pad and anything else you might need to capture some
of the fun and exotic machines I have built over the years.
It's all part of the fun of being a potter as far as I am concerned.
Michael Wendt